“The Church is the only society that exists for the benefit of those who are not its members.” – William Temple
Jesus gave the church…evangelists. Ephesians 4:11
This translates literally as “He gave to the church the bringers of the good news.”
Who doesn’t want that job? Who doesn’t want to be a “bringer of good news”?
- Tell your wife you got a raise
- Tell your husband you a promotion
- Tell the patient they are cancer free.
- Tell your kids we’re going to Disneyland!!!
Yet when we use the word “Evangelism” or “Evangelists” it has a “used car salesman” feel to it. It’s seems mired in sales and coercion.
- If you were to die tonight, do you know where’d you go?
- Do you know God hates sin?
Is the good news of Christ really about coercion? Is it about fear?
It feels more like have made “the bringers of good news” more “the barons of bad news”.
- It’s in line with telling your wife you gambled all of your money away
- Telling your husband you were fired.
- Telling the patient it’s cancer.
- Telling your kids you are going to Disneyland, without them.
In today’s message we seek to take restore the definition of “evangelist”, and truly be “bringers of the Good News.”
For more information check out www.restoremtown.com